Emergencies (named as Emergency Code during gameplay) is a unique feature of Phantasy Star Online 2 that defines unique events that occur during a quest. Emergencies can either be programmed in (for boss encounters, Urgent Quests, etc...) or can be random occurrences on the field (such as on Exploration and Advance Quests), with each planet and location offering their own unique emergency codes or unique variants to it.
- 1 Functionality
- 2 List of Emergencies
- 2.1 Gesture
- 2.2 Attack
- 2.3 Duel
- 2.4 Explosion
- 2.5 Test
- 2.6 Elimination
- 2.7 Escort
- 2.8 Joker
- 2.9 Judgement
- 2.10 Clone
- 2.11 Collect
- 2.12 Arrest
- 2.13 Avoid
- 2.14 Destruction
- 2.15 Capture
- 2.16 Present
- 2.17 Protection
- 2.18 Rescue
- 2.19 Unite
- 2.20 Variant
- 2.21 Quick
- 2.22 Chase
- 2.23 Abyss
- 2.24 Disaster
Often enough (but not always), an ARKS Operator will initiate communication with the party to warn them of the current emergency that needs to be tended to. Then, the Emergency Code symbols will appear on screen before the game gives the party the instructions to complete the emergency.
Each emergency has its own specific goals to meet, and sometimes its own unique rewards to collect. Upon completing an Emergency, the ARKS Operator is thankful for your work, and a separate reward of Meseta and EXP is given, often enough with a single separate item as well.
On occasion, completing an emergency will instead lead to another immediate emergency caused by completing the emergency, referred to by the Announcer as a Change Over Code (with the UI Emergency Code header turning yellow instead). In exceedingly rare cases, a Change Over can be succeeded by an Exception Code (rainbow header).
If the header is red, then this often signals the presence of rare enemies within the Emergency Trial.
Failing an emergency trial will not cause the overall quest to fail generally. Some emergencies are linked to the success or failure of the quest, indicated by a silver star icon next to the emergency on the right-side bar. These emergencies are expressly mentioned in-game as being required to complete the current quest. Attaining the failure state on those trials will fail the quest and force the party out of the quest, and completing it will complete the quest.
In areas with randomized emergencies, sometimes an ARKS Operative will give a hint as to what Emergency lies around the corner. Other times, visual effects, or audio cues (such as a monster's battle cry) can appear to signal the presence of certain emergencies or special enemies lurking on the map.
List of Emergencies
|EMERGENCY CODE: GESTURE||Objective||Relay a message from one Lillipan to another using Emotes.|| Rewards|
|Failure||Time Limit Exceeded|
|Locations|| Desert Exploration|
Underground Shafts Exploration
Abandoned Mine Exploration
Two Lillipans appear on the field: the interactable one is the Sender, and the not interactable one is the Receiver. Both are marked on the minimap.
Interact with the Sender to see which emote they are performing, and then move towards the position of the Receiver. Perform the correct emote in front of the Receiver and it should nod in approval. The Receiver will then become a Sender and a third Lillipan acting as a new Receiver will appear on the field. Relay the second emote to complete
- A Lillipan will not interact or receive the message if it's cowering in fear from nearby enemies. Eliminate them to make the Lillipans safe again to work with.
- Only emotes from the Basic Emotes set will be used by the Lillipans, except for the Dark Blast emotes.
- If you are having a tough time deciphering the emote, the ARKS Operator will eventually chime in and give a textual hint as to which emote it corresponds to.
- There is a chance that one of the Lillipans is an elderly Lillipan.
|EMERGENCY CODE: ATTACK||Objective||Defeat any enemy you find!|| Rewards|
The objective is to eliminate common, non-boss enemies. It's not too uncommon to see this emergency trial change into an Emergency Code: Duel upon defeating all foes.
- Despite the descriptions often having "any enemy", with enemy being the required species, it only counts foes with the target marker on them.
- Auxiliary: One Auxiliary taken from all players in the current map will require aid to defeat the foes. In this variation, the trial will end in failure if the Auxiliary is knocked out twice.
- ARKS Operative: An ARKS Operative will be on the scene and request aid.
|EMERGENCY CODE: DUEL||Objective||???|| Rewards|
Duels consist of a battle against one (or multiple bosses, however only for scripted Duels like end of stage bosses). It is a frequently used Emergency Code for a variety of situations, some of them with their own unique failure conditions.
- Common field Duels can sometimes change over into a Capture Trial before the boss has been eliminated.
A Duel with Nyau is a rare Emergency Trial. It is often followed up by another Duel as Nyau summons a boss after running away.
The final phase is a quest-related trial and has an added time limit. Failing it not only ends the trial but ends the quest.
Returning to the Gateway Ship during the quest-related Duel at the Boss Room will result in a failure and the end of the quest.
|EMERGENCY CODE: EXPLOSION||Objective||Eliminate the target responsible for the Explosions!|| Rewards|
|Locations||Drawn to Darkness|
Explosions will begin forming within tunnels until the source of the explosions, an enemy boss, is eliminated. Trying to backtrack within an exploding tunnel can be dangerous, so its highly recommended to push forward out of the tunnel.
|EMERGENCY CODE: TEST||Objective|| Survive the conditions added by the Training Program
or complete the stage.
Exclusive to Extreme Quests, during one of the stages, there is a chance that Karin triggers "by mistake" a training program that hinders certain abilities.
The emergency is completed by either fulfilling the emergency requirement to remove the hinderance or by completing the stage. Failing the stage's objective but completing the stage will still complete the Test Emergency.
- The Emergency can either happen immediately at the start of the stage or can occur sometime the middle of a stage after some time has passed.
|EMERGENCY CODE: ELIMINATION||Objective||Defeat all target foes!|| Rewards|
|EMERGENCY CODE: ESCORT||Objective||Follow the lillipan and bring them together.|| Rewards|
|EMERGENCY CODE: JOKER||Objective||Prove your strength to Mr. Bwomf!|| Rewards|
|Failure||Not dealing enough damage to Mr. Bwomf.|
|Locations||Everywhere (Very Rare)|
A Mr. Bwomf, a large genie in a tiny lamp, will appear on the map. Players are required to deal as much damage as possible to it before it disappears, with the damage required being represented by a trial gauge that needs to be filled up (starting the trial as empty).
Should players deal enough damage to it, players will be granted with a temporary status buff Enemy Gift - Rare Drop Rate +300%, which immediately takes effect.
|EMERGENCY CODE: JUDGEMENT||Objective||Defuse all time bombs before they explode!|| Rewards|
|Failure||Time Limit Exceeded|
Several bombs will be spawned at various locations across the map. Players must defuse the bombs before time runs out. Bombs can be interacted with when close to it, and a player is given three choices: top, middle, or bottom. Selecting one will proceed to try out that defusal method and after a second, the outcome will occur.
- Successfully defused bombs will glow a yellow light and vanish.
- Unsuccessfully defused bombs will create an electric aura that deals damage to players near it. After a few seconds, the aura disappears, and the bomb can be interacted with again.
The trial is completed when all bombs are successfully defused.
- Failing this trial only makes the bombs have a small explosion.
|EMERGENCY CODE: CLONE||Objective||Defeat the ARKS Clones!|| Rewards|
A rare emergency trial, which creates clones of other fellow players as foes: the number of clones created corresponds to your party size. Should weapons and units drop, there is a good chance that they come with the Modulator affix.
- Clones are guaranteed to appear within an Abduction Quest, except that they use clones of your party instead, and are part of Emergency Trial: Duel rather than Clone, despite the description of the trial mentioning clones only (and not Falz Hyunal).
- The level of the clone is based on the cloned player's original level and will not adjust to the level of other foes in the area.
- Should the cloned player have Auto-Chat enabled, corresponding lines will be triggered in the same manner as the original player would. This is most notable if the cloned player has a death Auto-Chat. This seems to only work with text-only Auto-Chat, however.
|EMERGENCY CODE: COLLECT||Objective||Collect items based on locale.|| Rewards|
|Failure||Failing to collect enough in time / Destroyed collectible|
Drill Rig Excavation
Multiple drill rigs will appear in the area, and the operator will ask you to excavate at least two drill rigs. To operate the Drill Rig, players must mash the interact button while the Drill Rig is shining. Drill Rigs do not operate consistently and will often turn off for a few seconds: trying to use them while they aren't functioning will penalize progress on the excavation in that spot. Completing a drill rig's meter to full will make it disappear.
This emergency trial does not end when the minimum amount of excavations has been done, letting players excavate the other drill rigs. However, it will immediately end when all Drill Rigs have been excavated.
- Drilling often drops Meseta crystals.
- On rare occasions, after a successful excavation on a drill, the drill will shine even brighter for a short amount of time. Mash the interact button to gather even more hidden items and Meseta until it becomes exhausted. The ARKS operator will mention that you've gotten a luck find.
|EMERGENCY CODE: ARREST||Objective||Collect items based on locale.|| Rewards|
|Failure||Too many Rappies flee|
|Locations|| Forest Exploration (Nav Rappies)|
Very Rarely, Everywhere (Rappies)
A swarm of Rappies or Nav Rappies (Naverius only) will appear. Players must deal enough damage to knock them out before too many flee. A defeated Rappy cannot fake their deaths and be hit a second time since ARKS will immediately teleport the Rappy out.
|EMERGENCY CODE: AVOID||Objective||Avoid taking damage from targets.|| Rewards|
|Failure||The targets hit players a certain amount of times.|
A falspawn threat appears that cannot be directly killed. Getting into physical contact deals heavy damage and adds to the total hits for the emergency. At the end of the timer, if enough players were hit, the emergency ends in failure.
Dark lightning strikes appear at player's feet and strike shortly after. This keeps repeating until the end of the timer. During this time, a target falspawn will appear somewhere, and defeating it will reduce the range where the Vizbolts can attack players. Target falspawn will keep respawning at the exact same position until the end of the Emergency.
A large red winged creature will appear and start chasing players in large increments at a time. The ARKS Operator will announce who the Bulf is targetting. After the timer runs out, the Bulf dissapears.
- More than one Gehl Bulf can appear.
|EMERGENCY CODE: DESTRUCTION||Objective||Take down the destructible object!|| Rewards|
|Failure||Target isn't destroyed in time|
An Emergency Trial which requires the destruction of an entity, such as cannons or a Bayze.
A Bayze is formed without warning and will slowly grow and assimilate from the surrounding environment. Players must deplete the Bayze's HP before it reaches full maturity. Failing to destroy the Bayze in time will lead to red acidic rain that deals constant damage to all players in the area for some time.
- Bayzes grow over time in spurts. When a Bayze grows, it deals damage to all players close-by.
- A Bayze can lead to an immediate Duel: if that's the case, it will always grow to its maximum size when it reaches 0 HP before being destroyed, and a boss will appear out of the remains.
- Within certain scripted quests, a Bayze can be programmed to always lead up to a Duel (such as in Cradle of Darkness) or be programmed to never lead to a Duel (such as the Challenge Quest MISSION: Strike).
Like the Avoid Emergency Trial, except for two key differences:
- Photon Cannons are spawned in and are the only way for players to destroy the Gehl Bulfs when fully charged.
- Not destroying the required amount of Gehl Bulf will result in failure.
Gehl Bulfs behave in the same ways as their Avoid counterpart, and geing hit a certain amount of times by the Gehl Bulfs will also lead to failure.
Within the Imposing Iron Assault and The Dignity of Steel Unleashed Urgent Quests, an Emergency Trial begins when boarding the ship on foot, requiring the destruction of all the highlighted cannons. All cannons have a green aura on them when they are still alive. Destroying one removes the aura. Destroy all cannons to complete the Emergency Trial.
|EMERGENCY CODE: CAPTURE||Objective||Bring the target to the Containment Field and capture the target!|| Rewards|
|Failure|| Target is killed|
Allowed uses of capture field depleted
|Locations||Some Exploration Fields|
A target boss will appear, and the players are required to bring and capture the boss at the Containment Field. When a boss is inside the field, the field will start glowing intense orange to indicate it is within capture, and players must complete a full channelling of a capture command via a nearby terminal, with the target still being within the field at the time of completion to capture it. The terminal requires button mashing to increase the channelling speed.
If the target is outside the field when the channelling is completed, the capture will fail, and the field will need a few seconds to be operational again. The terminal only has a limited amount of uses allowed and starting the channelling will immediately consume one of the allowed uses before it has even been completed.
Should the target be killed or the amount of uses of the field be used up and the last capture fails, the trial will end in failure.
- Bosses spawned from this Emergency Trial tend to have less health than normal.
- Capturing the boss will spawn a red loot crystal, just like it would if killed.
|EMERGENCY CODE: PRESENT||Objective||Receive a present from Mr. Umbra.|| Rewards|
|Failure||Deal too much damage to Mr. Umbra.|
|Locations||Everywhere (very rare)|
Mr. Umbra will spawn from above and descend slowly, staying in place and looking around him. Stand close to where he is aiming at and wait. Eventually, he'll swirl his cane and slap the target area, gifting all hit players with the boost Enemy Gift - Rare Drop Rate +100% and leave, leaving behind a red boss crystal.
Attacking Mr. Umbra will make him mad and fail the trial: should this happen, players are recommended to flee.
|EMERGENCY CODE: PROTECTION||Objective||Protect the target from taking too much damage until the time limit is complete.|| Rewards|
|Failure||Target(s) reaches 0 HP.|
ARKS Pilot Crash
An ARKS Pilot will crash their ship and request assistance to fend off foes while the pilot performs repairs. The Ship's HP is slowly healing, but enemies can deal damage to the ship with their attacks. When the ship's HP is full, the ship will depart and fly away. Should the ship's HP reach zero, the ship will explode, and the pilot will eject themselves, failing the Emergency Trial.
On occasion, a repaired ship will have additional malfunctioning systems and crash down again in a Change Over.
- Enemies spawn in waves. Once all enemies are eliminated, a new wave is immediately spawned, and the pilot indicates where they are coming from, making it great to build up PSE levels, especially during a weather effect.
- This Emergency Trial often occurs when a Ship flies by and prepares to give the player assistance, though it can happen without this prerequisite. On occasion, instead of crashing, the ship will flee, avoiding the Emergency Trial all together.
A rare emergency trial that can occur in various places. Two Energizer Crystals will spawn at two different locations and need to be protected from enemies trying to destroy them until the timer runs its course.
- After some time has passed, more crystals can appear.
- The distance between crystals is large enough that it might be difficult to defend solo.
- In addition, if any two crystals are destroyed, even if more crystals have appeared, the trial ends in failure.
- This trial has a unique reward, in which it boosts the chance of building PSE levels for a short amount of time within the current area, making it a very useful emergency trial especially within Advance Quests.
|EMERGENCY CODE: RESCUE||Objective||Rescue a target before their hitpoints reach 0!|| Rewards|
|Failure||Target reaches 0 HP.|
Rescue is a type of Emergency Trial where a target has been trapped and requires rescuing. Two completely different versions of it exist.
Fhangees are strong Falspawn entities that appear suddenly in the air as a nefarious aura. After a few seconds, it will chase the closest player. If the fhangee touches a player, it will teleport that player to a random location on the map and trap them inside a spherical red cage and start the trial. In this trial, the objective is to destroy the Fhangee before the player trapped inside dies. Falspawn and enemies will keep spawning near the Fhangee and attack the player inside. The cage can be attacked from the inside and outside but have lots of health. All players in the current area are given the coordinates of the trapped player.
Exclusive to Planet Lillipa areas. A Lillipan will be trapped under the corpse of an active and charged Gillnas. Players must protect the Lillipan from taking damage, but they need be careful to not hit the Lillipan trapped as that will also damage the Gillnas. After the time limit is reached, the Lillipan will escape and the Gillnas will be safely turned off. If the health of the Gillnas reaches zero, it explodes and sends the Lillipan flying.
- It's recommended to avoidfighting near the Gillnas as much as possible, since your weapons can easily decimate the health, more than the enemies ever could.
- If no players are in proximity of the Emergency Trial, the enemies there do not seem to continue attacking the Lillipan.
Wopal Hanging by a Thread
Exclusive to Wopal's Seabed. A Wopal native will be trapped by large water creature and will need to be freed by defeating the creature and liberating the native. The native's HP will slowly drain so long it's being trapped in the creature, and the trial will end in failure if the native's HP falls to zero.
|EMERGENCY CODE: UNITE||Objective||Team up with NPC members to eliminate foes.|| Rewards|
|Failure||All NPCs are knocked out.|
|Locations|| Las Vegas Exploration|
Daybreak Province Exploration
Trick or Treat!
Unite is like an Attack trial with a NPC ally, except this time, two NPC allies will be spawned in.
Back up the Daybreakers
Exclusive to Daybreak Province. Two Daybreak Soldiers, Choopmekko and Choopokkay, will be facing off against some of the Nightfallers. Simply defeat all the enemies to help the Daybreak Soldiers and complete the Emergency Trial. The Soldiers are capable of combat but will not be able to handle it all by themselves.
- Sometimes, the Daybreak Soldiers will instead be facing off against Falspawn instead.
ARKS Duo Operatives
- On Beach Wars!, unlike every other ARKS operative that can appear, Pati and Tia are the only ones who will not use a cut in portrait at the start and end of the trial.
|EMERGENCY CODE: VARIANT||Objective||Defeat the rare enemy!|| Rewards|
ARKS Badge: Pink
|Locations||Exploration (Requires an Enemy Trigger)|
An emergency only caused when a party uses an Enemy Trigger at the start of the Quest. It is like a Duel, however, the bosses are their rare counterpart. Certain triggers have more than one boss that can spawn: they'll spawn after the current one has been defeated.
Unlike other Emergencies, the location where Variant will occur is marked on the minimap regardless of the party's exploration of the map.
It is the sole source of ARKS Badge: Pink.
|EMERGENCY CODE: QUICK||Objective||Hurry and eliminate the targets before time runs out!|| Rewards|
|Failure||Time Limit Exceeded|
|Locations||Las Vegas Exploration|
Time can be increased by collecting energy boosters.
|EMERGENCY CODE: CHASE||Objective||Chase and eliminate the targets before time runs out!|| Rewards|
|Failure||Time Limit Exceeded|
|Locations||Some Exploration Fields|
|EMERGENCY CODE: ABYSS||Objective|| Survive the conditions added by the Training Program
or complete the stage.
|Locations||Story Quests (EPISODE 2)|
|EMERGENCY CODE: DISASTER||Objective|| A. Defeat all the flying bits.
B. Defeat Anga Phandaj
|Failure|| A. Time limit exceeded.|
|Locations|| Corruption Investigation: Naverius|
Corruption Investigation: Lillipa
Corruption Investigation: Amduskia (B Version Only)
Disaster is a class of Emergency Code related to Anga Phandaj, exclusive to the Ultimate Quests.
Players need to eliminate all bits that can move sporadically, and occasionally create an explosion. Clearing this version might lead to the second version, but it's not guaranteed. It is also possible this version is a Change Over of another Emergency Trial. Often, there are swarms of enemies surrounding the bits that can get in the way.
Sometimes is a follow up to Disaster: Flying Bits. In some cases, this is one of the few Emergency Trials which can be an Exception Code. However, the first version of Disaster cannot be an Exception Code. This emergency will always change the background music of the area to the battle theme of Anga Phandaj. However, it functions mostly like a regular Duel, although Anga always fakes their defeat once and continues afterwards stronger than ever.