Like most RPGs, Phantasy Star Online 2 features Status Effects, ailments that can either improve or hinder your performance that can be applied to both players and foes alike. Though most of the effects have an icon and special effect, some do not. Certain enemies will enter unique states when afflicted by a particular status effect.
Common status effects can be inflicted by the Player themselves (generally with Techniques) and have a Status icon if inflicted to themselves.
The Burn status effect deals ??% of the target's Max HP as damage every few seconds, similarly to Poison. Unlike Poison, Burn deals damage more often but has a shorter duration, and can be spread to the target's allies. The effect eventually cures itself over time.
- Burn can be applied to a target using Fire Techniques.
- Additionally, affixing any weapon with Burn I, Burn II, Burn III, Burn IV or Burn V will grant the weapon a chance to inflict Burn per hit.
Notable targets to Burn include:
- Dark Falz Apprentice Zia, Fang Banshee and Fang Banser: Inflicting Burn will cause these foes to become stunned.
- Zeta Granz, Falke Leone and Varima Leopod: The three bosses from Corrupted Region: Lillipa are susceptible to the Burn status.
- Leomaduraad: Inflicting Burn will cause it to lose its buffs (given from its enraged state) and freak out.
The Freeze status effect encases the target in Ice and prevents them from doing anything and keeping them in place (even in mid-air). The duration of the condition is long, but the target will be instantly cured if they take enough damage. Many foes that have special interactions with the Freeze status will make them immobile.
- Freeze can be applied to a target using Ice Techniques.
- Additionally, affixing any weapon with Freeze I, Freeze II, Freeze III, Freeze IV or Freeze V will grant the weapon a chance to inflict Freeze per hit.
- The AIS has a Freezing attack on its Sub-Palette in certain quests. This inflicts the freeze status upon hit to the targets.
Notable targets to Freeze include:
- Goldrahda, Vol Dragon, Diaboigryphis: Inflict freeze to immobilize them by encasing their legs in Ice.
- Biol Meduna: Temporarily immobilized when inflicted.
- Phantasm Battleship Yamato: Its main cannons will be frozen by the AIS' freezing attack.
The Shock status effect electrifies the target and causes them to flinch at random. If a player is shocked, a player can sometimes be sent flying close by straight to the floor instead of a small flinch.
- Shock can be applied to a target using Lightning Techniques.
- Additionally, affixing any weapon with Shock I, Shock II, Shock III, Shock IV or Shock V will grant the weapon a chance to inflict Shock per hit.
Notable targets to Shock include:
- Krabahda: Inflicting Shock while it has its guard up will knock it over and expose it's weakpoint.
- Falz Arm: Immobilized when inflicted by Shock.
- Dark Falz Elder: Shock can cause him to be knocked down.
- Vegas Illusia and Gal Gryphon: Stunned by Shock.
The Blind status effect causes affected enemies to occasionally miss their attack.
- Blind can be applied to a target using Wind Techniques.
- Additionally, affixing any weapon with Blind I, Blind II, Blind III, Blind IV or Blind V will grant the weapon a chance to inflict Blind per hit.
Notable targets to Blind include:
- Train Gidran: Stuns the enemy.
- Dekor Maryuda: Immobilized if inflicted with Blind.
- Dark Falz Luther: Inflict Blind on his clock to force it to open and briefly leave him unable to teleport around.
The Panic status effects functions differently based on the type of target. On Players, Panic will cause their movement controls to be shifted around, making it harder to move altogether. On Enemies, Panic will cause them to attempt to attack other enemies.
- Panic can be applied to a target using Light Techniques.
- Additionally, affixing any weapon with Panic I, Panic II, Panic III, Panic IV or Panic V will grant the weapon a chance to inflict Panic per hit.
Notable targets to Panic include:
- Fal Vibras, Apos Dorios, Anga Phandaj: Temporarily stuns it.
- Persona the Masked: Susceptible to Panic.
The Poison status effect deals ??% of the target's Max HP as damage every few seconds. Poisoned targets will take on a darker hue and have poison bubbles appear when injured by the Poison. The effect eventually cures itself over time.
- Poison can be applied to a target using Dark Techniques.
- Additionally, affixing any weapon with Poison I, Poison II, Poison III, Poison IV or Poison V will grant the weapon a chance to inflict Poison per hit.
Notable targets to Poison include:
- Catredran: Takes more damage from Poison than other foes.
- Quartz Dragon: Inflicting Poison to a part will make it seep a black liquid.
- Dragon X: Inflicting Poison to a part will make it seep a black liquid, taking more damage from all sources on that part.
The Shifta status effect boosts the offensive power of the inflicted.
The Deband status effect boosts the defensive power of the inflicted.
Uncommon status effects do not have an icon, and often cannot be inflicted by the Player (except in the Battle Arena).
Stun is an unmarked status effect dealt by certain enemy attacks. Targets inflicted with the stun will be unable to move, and if in mid-air, will fall to the ground. The duration lasts a while but being attacked will immediately cure the effect. Mashing the movement keys/directional stick will greatly reduce the duration of the effect, with the spinning circles above the head spinning faster the faster a player mashes.
- Catredran and Vidrola are some of the foes with an attack that guarantees Stun.
- In the Battle Arena, players can use the Stun Shot skill to send a homing bullet that inflicts Stun to the target upon hit. In addition, the Knuckles' Advancing Charge in this mode at full charge will inflict Stun to the target.
Time-Stopped is a variation of Stun exclusively used by Dark Falz Luther. Differences include:
- Stunned targets have no animation.
- Stunned targets are stuck in place even in mid-air, like Freeze.
- There are no floating circles above the players' head.
However, mashing the movement keys/directional stick will still reduce the duration of the effect like Stun.
Injured (as named by the Battle Arena help guide) is a special status effect inflicted by certain enemies like Falz Hyunal. If inflicted, the player's max HP will be temporarily limited (indicated by a red bar on the HP), and this effect can stack to reduce the Max HP even further. Injured players will be tinted in deep red, and a strange noise will emit every few seconds.
- In the Battle Arena, the Battle Rifle's Piercing Round PA will inflict Injured onto other players.